Time For Hugs Banner

Monday, May 7, 2012

Blog post 12: the end of the blogs

Oh the last blog, and I still have so much more to do. Cursed is the life of a procrastinator.

Today I'll talk about how the class impacted me and my works.
For those of you who don't know (looks around web page) I have my own comic. It's not animation, but it is sequential images that tell a story, so some of the lessons are pretty applicable.
In truth very few of the lessons were new to me as far as how animation relates to it's stiller brother comics. Scott McCloud lists off a fair amount of what makes a cartoon in "Understanding comics". This means I will skip over quite a few of the overlapping lessons and the lessons about cartoons, which leaves just the lessons of how sequential art evolved as my topic for this post.
In truth I suppose that cuts down a lot of what I was going to talk about. What commonalities do sequential art forms have in common. Not cartoons. Just sequential art.

Well I could easily start with their differences. Comics rely on choice of moment, while animation show step by step movement and have far less choice of moment. You do see transitions however, so they do overlap slightly. Animation can have many more moments. You have all of the stages of a punch, you don't need to worry about whether or not you show a middle to the punch, it's already there. But transitions do exist for many of the same practical reasons. Meanwhiles, laters, and other announcer type sayings pop up in both of the forms.

Sound. Comics have none, animation has the ability to have it. Instead of writing pow, slick, bang you can actually hear it. Animation doesn't require you to voice the characters, it gives you a voice for them. Animation has a whole other sense for viewers to enjoy.

Story. Ah there it is. A story. Everything requires a story in sequential art. That's why it's sequential, to tell something that one picture could not.
So if anything were to truly be learned by comparing the two. It is the need for a story to accompany the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment